duminică, 27 mai 2012

Let's talk about: Eurovision

     As you may all know, there is a annual song contest for Europe called Eurovision. The contest was inaugurated in 1956, so many years ago, and it's one of the most important shows on this planet. But, because there's always a "but", the contest changed so so so much over the years and it turned into a really predictable contest. In other words, you know the winner even before the actual night of the contest. I'm watching this contest - show since I was little, so I'm really familiar to it. This year, I finally realized things are going for the worst and that this show is not as fun anymore.

     First thing first, I do want to congratulate the winner, Loreen, and say that her song was really beautiful. But, again the "but", I do believe that were much more beautiful songs and there was a really good singing technique behind those other songs. Those songs I'm referring to are Spain's, Pastora Soler - Quédate Conmigo. and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia's, Kaliopi - Crno i Belo. I believe that one of these two songs should have claimed the win last night. A little bit of hope still exists in my heart, that the contest will go back to how it was before, because Serbia's song was really appreciated (it got 3rd place), and the same goes for Albania's and Estonia's song.


     Second thing, the freaking voting system bugs the hell out of me. I'm not talking about the official voting system of the contest, but the one of each country. People usually vote for their neighbors or countries they have a whole history together with. That's why most of the votes were so predictable. Leo, the one that commented the show for Romania, guessed where most of the high points (8, 10 and 12) went because that's how the countries gave points in the last 10 years. I did the same thing as him, and half of the time I was right. I'm sorry to say this, but this contest is about the best song, the best live voice and the best interpretation of a song. Some of the songs that got a good amount of points didn't passed this 3 important key point of the show. This goes for Moldova, that had the name of the song in romanian but the entire song was in english and I couldn't understand a thing, Russia, even if the grannies were cute and brave for singing on a show like this one their song didn't deserve second place, and Romania, because it got a crappy song (I'll explain this right away).

     Third thing, even if I repeat myself, Romania's song was a piece of crap. In my opinion it didn't fit the contest, I hated it that it was in English (I always hate it when our songs are in english because I think it should be in our language when it's a song representing Romania - you can say that my romanian pride makes me say that) and Spanish (why the hell spanish??!!!!), and because the lyrics were totally not making sense (what does Zaleilah mean?). Besides all that, the vocalist of the band was totally unprepared: during the rehearsals she forgot the lyrics, her voice sounded really different when she was singing live and last night she started off the tone and her voice sounded hoarse during some parts. In other words, the perfect combination of a big failure. Costi Ionita, even if you still sustain that this song should have won, I'm sure it's your pride talking and not your mind. Plus, even if I didn't watched the second semi-final, I saw last night that from it came most of the good songs, so it made me realize that if Romania were in the second semi-final it wouldn't have stand a chance against the other bands/singers.

    Anyway, all we have to do is hope that next year the show will be better than this year, regarding the above mentioned problems, and that Romania will be represented next year by a better song (even if I have my doubts that that will happen).

2 comentarii:

  1. First of all, Romania's song wasn't that crappy and second, I agree that there were better songs than Sweden's who should've win. But I guess Europe likes that kind of song after all. Well, most of europeans. And I think Germany should've win. I liked that song above all. Is all about personal preferences. I think this year the winner wasn't chosen because of interest, is because Europe prefer that kind of song.

    RăspundețiȘtergere
    Răspunsuri
    1. Oh I'm not saying it was choosen because of some interests, because it got some points from some countries I never thought they would give 12 points to Sweeden ever. But there were other countries that got points like that (hint: Cyprus or Greece)

      Ștergere