marți, 22 mai 2012

Let's talk about: Books

I know I haven't written a "Let's talk about" post since a long time, so I thought today was a great chance to do so. Please do keep in mind that this post might contain spoilers (I don't want to ruin a book for you before you even got the chance to read it).

I'm going to start by telling you how I started to get this addiction of reading. Back in my 5th or 6th grade (I can't remember well), the romanian literature teacher at that time gave us a list we had to read for the summer. Some of the books were good but some were not that really interesting at that time. I remember I read Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe (I still have the book), Around the World in Eighty Days, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and many other books by Jules Verne, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. These are probably hard books for a 15-16 year old kid, but I enjoyed them since the stories are really nice.

Then, when I entered high school, again, the literature teacher told us that we had to read the books she will give us or we got a bad mark. That's when I read Ion by Liviu Rebreanu, Novel of the Nearsighted Adolescent and With the Gypsy Girls by Mircea Eliade, The Moromete Family (first part) by Marin Preda, The Last Night of Love, the First Night of War by Camil Petrescu, plus many other more. Besides all these books, I read some on my own for extra credit, like The Moromete Family part 2, Procust's Bed by Camil Petrescu and Jar by Liviu Rebreanu.


In college I didn't have romanian literature anymore, so I started to read books on my own. The way I pick books might be a little strange, but usually I read the synopsis found on the back cover of the book and if I find it interesting I buy it. If not, then PASS!! :)) What I started to read during college are all books written by international authors. I read books pretty fast, like a 400 pages book I read it in two days, but if you put the hours I actually read head to head, it probably takes me less than a day.




As you can see in the picture I did read the Twilight series. I know that some people don't like the movies and the books but I do love them. The movies are not that good. In my opinion Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson are trying way to hard to get into the skin of the characters, that they go to the opposite direction. Good actors are the ones that don't look like they act, like they are getting a new name and they are living the action for real. Kristen and Robert are really showing that they are acting. Sure, some of you may say "You read the book first and then you saw the movies so that's why you have this impression". Believe me, it's not that. Plus, books are always better than movies. Anyway, people should keep in mind that these books are for teenagers or young adults (however you want to call them) so that's why the story is so cheesy.



Another book from this series, the young adults books, that I have read is Fallen by Lauren Kate. I haven't got my hands on the next books, but I'm planing to read them. I really love books with creatures from different legends, but the ones I love the most are the angels and if a book is about them and the fight between angels and demons, then I must have it.

Before I got to buy books, I read them on my PC in english. This is when I read The Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine. I haven't finished the series or if it's still ongoing, I haven't got the chance to be ut to date with this books, because after the 5th book, the story started to get boring. I wanted to start readying them again a year ago because I saw the books translated into romanian in a bookstore, but i dropped that idea pretty fast.

Now, let's move on, to another type of books I love to read: horror. From this genre, I only read books from John Saul. I really love his books because it's super fast to read and easy to understand. The down side to all of this is that I don't find them that horror. Yes, the books are full of suspense and mystery, but the only book that scared me was The Right Hand of Evil. The other books, Darkness, Sleepwalk and Creature weren't that scary, in my opinion. One thing that I realized after readying these books, is that the action follows a pattern: the main character of the book moves to a different city than before and you find out about what the connection between the title and the book near the end of it.

Next, I'm going to talk about Dan Brown's books. From this author I only read Digital Fortress, Angels & Demons and Deception Point. What I love about this author is that he can trick my mind a lot. In every damn book, he gave me the impression that the one to blame for the bad things in the book is someone else than the actual person that is guilty for everything. A friend of mine told me that the same happened to her, but only for the first book. I guess I need to read the other two books in hope that I won't be deceived again.

I'm sure that by now everyone realized that I love Japan and South Korea, so it's not going to be a surprise when I'm going to tell you that I read books from the japanese literature. Fumiko Enchi, Yukio Mishima and Taichi Yamada are ones of my favorite authors. I find them really easy to read and I think the stories are really interesting. Of course there is a bit of SF in the books that make them even more fun.

Even if I usually read fast, there are some books that get the best out of me. Those are the books that explains the action really good, like to the smallest detail you can think of. The author wants you to understand the characters even more that you would do, by reading a book, like they are real persons. These books are Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (this is a case where the movie is as good as the book) and Independence Day by Richard Ford.

One of the books I love the most, the one that I enjoyed the most and the most fun one, is and will always be Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern. This book is not a normal book. The book is a collection of messages, emails, letters, instant messages and newspaper articles and follows the life of the main characters. The book teaches you that sometimes, some decisions we take in life can change your whole life and can keep you away from things you wanted really in your life.

I know that the post is really big, but I hope you will pick some of the books I read as something you will read in the near future.
 

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu