marți, 18 octombrie 2016

Wednesday favorites: The Fall of Lisa Bellow

30753832


     Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. Here is my honest review:

     When I started reading this book, I thought it was going to be something psychological in the way All the bright places was: you go inside the characters mind, you know something is totally wrong there, you see improvement, but in the end you get an ending you sure didn’t see coming. But I got a surprise when I understood from the first chapter that the book is going to be dark, in one way or another, is going to be mind challenging, because you will start to think about things, and is going to be a masterpiece in the end.

     I think it’s a mind challenging because it makes you think, it makes you think of the book as fiction, but it makes you think it can happen in real life. And then you get in the skin of the main character and you ask yourself: how would I react if I were to be in her situation? How would I react at an age of 28 and how would I react at an age of 14? Yes, I don’t really like that person, I could care less about her/him, but what if I would have been the one in her/his place? How would I want people to react to the whole situation? How would my mind feel about the tragic events? And so on. The story takes you from one point of view, with some basic ideas, and then each idea takes you to a new point of view, with other ideas. It’s like a whole complex math formula that you unfold at chapter one, and you must solve it and get a result before the end of the last page. That’s why, we get to see both the point of view of Meredith on the situation, but also her mom’s point of view. No one wants to be in a life or death situation, so when “life” chooses you, you are relieved and happy, but you are also marked with distress because “death” could have chosen you. It didn’t happened, but there was a possibility for it to happend. 

     So, did I like it? Yes, absolutely yes! I didn’t actually knew what to expect of the book, because All the bright places kept me focused with the love story, so I was in a way afraid I might give up on the book after the first two chapters, but that wasn’t the case. I really couldn’t put the book down, unless I needed to sleep or to work.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu